Sunday 28 September 2014

Polperro, Cornwall (Part 3)


Continuing to walk around Polperro, this will be the last post on this particular village. Do check my previous two posts if you have not as it is such a picturesque and interesting place.
I will share some interesting history at the end.

Something different - a house decorated with shells


We are actually on the east side of the harbour having come down from the cliffs on the west side


I don't think I could concentrate on reading here



walking along these narrow alleyways is fun





We come to the museum and tearoom



We are ready for a break and some light refreshment
Just a scone with butter as neither of us like cream and certainly not the famous Cornish clotted cream that everyone goes wild over








cottages built right into the cliffs





I would love to have been able to swim here


but it is time to turn around and head back




but maybe a photograph first


These jumbled houses are the work of Cornish fishermen. They wanted a place to store their gear and Pilchard catch, and over that a loft divided into rooms like the cuddy of his boat. He reached the ground by means of stone or wooden steps.
Wending your way along traffic free streets to the small harbour, you are treading the paths where once fish were carted, and under cover of night, Brandy casks and Tobacco bales wee carried into their hideouts.
Make no mistake, this peaceful fishing cove was once a thriving centre for the area's smuggling.
Wagon loads of contraband left here, some heading across Bodmin Moor, en route to London
(There will be more on Bodmin Moor in a later post. 


9 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely post of a very pretty town. Thank you Barbara, I'm hoping to get here next June.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

This was the best post yet! The seashell cottage is wonderful though I wouldn't want to be the one who has to keep them all clean, especially those big conches on the windowsill. And I love the way they name their cottages. Was thinking I want to move there and live in Cliffs End Cottage, no wait, maybe Baytree Cottage, or the Laurels. Can't really decide - but whatever is up the highest with the best view!
Sure hope I'm as spry and look as good as you and Alan do when I catch up to you!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Forgot to say that window full of sailboats is my favorite.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

That is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I can see how someone who lives here would be in good shape. Thanks for the beautiful stroll...

ChrisJ said...

Oh you and I should have cream teas together. You can have my scone and I'll have your cream!

Lorrie said...

The higgly piggly streets and houses look like they could topple down the cliff at any time. The white washed homes are so striking. What a fun visit you've had.

Garden Fancy said...

Every scene you've shown is incredibly picturesque. What a lovely place to spend a holiday! Thanks for sharing this village with us. -Beth

Anonymous said...

I love this post Barbara and feel like I've walked the streets with you. What a pretty village.
That is a very nice picture of you sitting in the chair.
Thank you for this lovely tour.
Audrey.